By 1868 work on the railroad was done and work on the levies began; workers were paid one dollar per day, except the Chinese - they were pain thirty-five cents per day and the company kept the other sixty-five cents. George Locke was a fair man and made a deal with Tin Sin Chen who had a Chinese merchant and gambling house in Walnut Grove. George leased him twenty acres of ground on a renewable lease, on which five 2-story buildings at $1,200.00 each were built.
A suspicious fire in 1915 wiped out the Chinese part of Walnut Grove, so the Chinese went to Locke. The Dilobe was the biggest gambling building of all and was not forced to shut down until 1951.
Bars and gambling houses were open during prohibition during which time it was popular to go duck hunting and get a Chinese girl.
The oldest Chinese community in the U.S. survived the floods in 1958.
Al the Wops looks like any other building in Locke and is the only business there which is not Chinese - everything else is Chinese and now the federal government owns the lease and Locke is still leased.
No plaques can be put up in Locke.
Brother Don "Peanut Butter" Breeland, well known Historian Extraordinaire